Frequently Asked Questions About Mold, Your Home, and Your Health
Q: How can I be exposed to mold?
A: When molds are disturbed, their spores may be released into the air. You can then be exposed to the spores through the air you breathe. Also if you handle moldy materials, you can be exposed to mold and mold spores through contact with your skin.
Q: How do molds grow in my home?
A: Once mold spores settle in your home, they need moisture to begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on. There are molds that can grow on wood, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, paints, carpet, drywall and insulation. When excess moisture or water builds up in your home from a leaky roof, high humidity or flooding, conditions are often ideal for molds.
Q: How can molds affect my health?
A: Generally, the majority of common molds are not a concern to someone who is healthy. People at risk for adverse reactions to mold include children, elderly, individuals with compromised immune systems and individuals with allergies and/or asthma. Any of the listed categories of people may experience skin rash, running nose, eye irritation, cough, congestion and aggravation of asthma. If you have an immune suppression or underlying lung disease, you may be at increased risk for infections from mold. Consult your physician for any health related problems from mold.