How Much Does Mold Testing Cost?
Unfortunately, mold testing costs vary tremendously. Costs vary from company to company and mold testing costs vary based on where you live geographically. We recommend calling at least two (preferably more) mold testing companies to ask for a price quote and to the following questions:
- What qualifications do you have to perform mold testing?
What certifications does your company have? What are the qualifications of your mold inspectors?
(Note: Ask what the certification requirements for any certifications they have either as a company or the individuals who will be performing the work. There are many certifications with some requiring much more work than others. Some are probably quite simple and, unfortunately, do not connote qualification to perform a mold inspection. Further, some may require a lot of work, but are not related to nor do they touch on mold itself. Take a moment to look online to find out what's required for any certifications they list.)
- How many mold inspections did the person who will inspect my property do in the last year? How long he/she been in this line of work?
- What is your philosophy regarding mold sampling?
- What are the costs of each air and surface mold sample?
- How many mold samples do you normally take?
Do you perform the mold sample analysis yourself? Do you perform mold remediation?
(Tip: You're looking for conflicts of interest here. If they also perform remediation, they have a vested interest in finding mold to clean up.)
- Do you receive any kickbacks, commissions, or referral fees for sending work to mold remediators?
- How long has the mold remediator you recommend been in business and what are their qualifications?
- How long has your mold lab been in business and what are the lab's qualifications?
- Do you have references from work done in the past year that I can call to ask how the work went?
What are your payment terms?